Our Incredible Year
We have experienced phenomenal growth this year and our first challenge was establishing relationships with hospitals.
Once we demonstrated the need for additional support for NICU families, we used that momentum
and excitement to build on our existing programs, and to expand our peer-to-peer community.
Your Support Matters
We estimate that nearly 2,000 families in the Portland, Metro and Vancouver, WA region are impacted by a NICU experience every year. Despite these numbers, NICU Families Northwest (NFNW) is the only local not-for-profit organization dedicated to helping families cope with their infant’s hospitalization. You can help us continue this critical work.
We’re very proud of our recent achievements:
- We established partnerships to support inpatient families at five out of seven hospitals including: OHSU/Doernbecher Children’s Hospital, Kaiser Permanente Sunnyside Medical Center, Legacy Salmon Creek Medical Center, PeaceHealth Southwest Holtzman Twins NICU, and Randall Children’s Hospital.
- We were awarded $3,500.00 in grants and corporate gifts from local businesses.
- Our website www.NICUFamiliesNW.org went live, providing a public platform for our families’ stories and raising awareness of our work.
- We became Community Partners with Baby Blues Connection, Northwest Mothers Milk Bank, and Patient+Family Care to share resources for NICU parents.
- Over 180 new NICU parents joined our web-based peer-to-peer network, adding 180 unique voices to our community.
- Our Dear Mama video has been viewed nearly 800 times, spreading a message of love and support to inpatient NICU moms on Mother’s Day.
- We launched the Full Heart Food Cart, to promote healthy eating habits and self-care for inpatient families.
- Three fun events were held within our NICU community. We held a self-care workshop and two social events to bring our online community together in person.
- Our Board of Directors and volunteers logged over 670 hours in support of our mission to support local NICU families.
- We partnered with powerhouse non-profit Write Around Portland to hold a six-week creative writing workshop for members of our NICU parent community. It was a wonderful time for participants to develop their voice, reflect on their NICU experience, and receive feedback and support from their peer community.